Sunday, October 17, 2010

The List

This blog entry features a list of things I miss about America and a list of things I like about Korea. I like doing this several times while I'm abroad to see how I change/adapt.

Ok, it turned out kind of long, so it's after the cut.



Things I Miss:

Traffic lights/Pedestrian Right of Way - In Yeongcheon, very few intersections have traffic lights. The main flow of traffic has the "right of way," and everyone else--including cross traffic, turning cars, and pedestrians--just sneak/dash in whenever the opportunity arises. This results in a lot of honking and sudden stops.

Variety in Food - although I'm doing fine with Korean food, there isn't a lot of variety, especially in Yeongcheon. And there is very little chance to eat non-Korean food.

Flushing Toilet Paper - I'm pretty comfortable with the toilets now, but I'm still a little weirded out by not flushing the paper. Admittedly, my toilet never clogs...

My Stuff - Actually, I don't miss much of it, but every now and then I think of something I want that I don't have here and it's annoying to think I own it, but can't access it. I also miss sewing.

My Cat - I miss him!

Window Screens - No wonder so many mosquitoes get in the house in the summer...

Shower/Bath - Ok, my friends have real showers, but I don't. There are no bath tubs. And the water pressure sucks. Since I really like bathing, this makes me sad.

No Beverages At Lunch - There are no beverages, not even water, served with school lunch. I get thirsty, especially eating all that spicy stuff.


Things I Like About Korea

No Sales Tax/Tips - what you see on the bill/price tag is what you pay. I love it.

Trains - Well, I've always loved them.

Scenery - It's so beautiful. I'm a little sad at the coming winter season, since we'll lose all the green, but I hear it doesn't snow much here, so no beautiful white.

Food Sharing - Everyone always shares. Ok, if you wanted the whole cheesecake to yourself, I guess this would be bad. But usually it means more food all around.

Indoor Slippers - They're kind of fun to wear. I love taking my shoes off now.

No Cat Hair - Sorry, Yuri.

People - Everyone at my school is so friendly and generous.

Coffee - It's everywhere.

Sitting on the Floor - Especially at restaurants.

Toilets - I...I kind of like them. I was shocked to discover Ashli and Sandy have been avoiding non-Western toilets and, in fact, never use them. I kind of like not touching a public toilet seat.

It'll be interesting to see if any of this changes 4 months from now.

3 comments:

  1. **There are no beverages, not even water, served with school lunch.**
    That's just weird. I'd go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things I MISS (about Colleen being in Korea):
    - Colleen showing up (unexpectedly) at our house and staying for dinner.
    - Colleen staying with our kids if Bill & I are gone overnight.
    - Colleen being a prominent "fan club member" at Sarah & Joey's various activities
    - Colleen being a part of any family gathering.
    - Hugs from Colleen.

    Things I LIKE (about Colleen being in Korea):
    - hearing all about her adventures.
    - seeing the very interesting sites (through her eyes - and camera.)
    - Picturing Colleen having a great adventure with new found friends.
    - Being very proud of her for being so adventurous!
    - Looking forward to her coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Colleen - and Kathy's response!!
    One think I like about Colleen being in Korea is I'm going to go visit!!

    ReplyDelete