Thursday, April 7, 2011

Rainy Day

Today is the first day it's rained in awhile. Normally, I like rainy days (especially since yesterday, on the first truly sunny day of the spring/summer, I got sunburned!), but it was hard to appreciate it because everyone kept warning me not to let the rain touch my skin lest I get radiation poisoning. One teacher told me, while we were eating seafood, that we shouldn't eat any seafood, since it might have come from affected waters (Korea imports a lot of seafood from Japan). Some elementary schools in Seoul even closed today so that students wouldn't have to risk going out in the rain. That struck me as odd, since official sources have continually been saying that the radiation levels reaching Korea would be miniscule and harmless. Seems like closing schools will only make people worry more.

We were lucky, though, because yesterday, the day of our school picnic, was bright and sunny - perfect weather. Flowers are starting to bloom and I hardly need a jacket at all anymore. I was also very happy today because I talked to some teachers who barely speak any English. My Korean was terrible and halting, and half made up of pantomime, but we managed to communicate. A little. :)

I guess, you win some and you lose some. Or rather, you lose some and you win some.

No comments:

Post a Comment