Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pottery Making

So, every 4th Saturday, we have a special activities class. Mine is "English Newspaper" but we don't really focus on the newspaper part. Mostly we do a writing activity every week as well as various other activities, which may or may not one day come together to form a "newspaper." Dong-Yun's activity is arts-and-crafts, since she is a Home Ec teacher. One Sunday she had a special edition class that met at a local cafe, whose owner also makes and teaches pottery. Since I'm Dong-Yun's friend, she invited me and a few of her other friends to join the students.

It was fun and her class is comprised mostly of second grade students that I really like, so I enjoyed being there, even though my pottery skills were below average. Here are the students at my table at work. For more pictures, follow the cut.


Ye-Eun and Gyung-Min sitting across from me. Both girls are very sweet.

Dong-Yun working on a vase, which she later presented to me! She's sweet too!

More students. The girl in the white shirt, sitting between two girls in yellow shirts, is Hye-Eun, one of my favorite students.

My cup. I wasn't very good at smoothing out the clay, so it's quite rough, but it's a nice size. I haven't tried drinking out of it yet.

The cafe. The owners are a husband and wife team. The husband's hobbies are his greenhouse (shown here) and his antique collection, both housed in the cafe (Or, I guess, you could say the cafe is housed in the greenhouse). The wife's hobby is pottery, also on display in the cafe. It's a very unique place.

The cafe is on the edge of a lake, a very nice place for a walk (more on this in a later blog post). The lake has a huge "forest" of lotus plants, which the students went to play with while their friends finished pottery-making.

Gyung-Min and me. You can see the cafe behind us.

Ye-Eun and Yoon-Young, another student I love. Later, they got in trouble for picking the lotus leaves, which are apparently quite expensive.

A shot of the cafe from the lake.

A small part of the antique collects, which is actually quite impressive. I just wanted a picture of this awesome dragon incense burner.

Yoon-Young with her complete vase.

No comments:

Post a Comment