Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Around Yeongcheon

Today was the first actually cold day by my standards, so in honor of the beginning of winter, I'll post the pictures I took around Yeongcheon during the summer and fall. One of the things I'll miss the most about Korea is its beauty, especially the greenness of Yeongcheon. It's sad to know that my remaining months won't be able to give me that. But at least we'll always have Paris. Or rather, these pictures.




A pretty house at the top of a hill. Since this building's is also by the river, I'll bet this property is rather expensive.

The river view on the way to E-Mart, the local supermarket (similar to Target). Rumor has it that Yeongcheon has the smallest E-Mart in the whole of Korea.

Also on that path, a sign welcoming motorists to Yeongcheon. All the cities in Korea have their own adjective or descriptor that sets them apart. Yeongcheon's is "Star Yeongcheon." This is because of the famous observatory here, which makes this a popular star-gazing town.

Some random streets of Yeongcheon.

A butterfly rests on some interstesing flowers near my apartment. Too bad I'm such a bad photographer, so the potential of this scenario is lost.

Another pretty flower by the lake.

Yeongcheon's lake (the same one where we did the pottery). In this shot you can see the part of the lake which houses a large lotus field. This is a very pretty place to walk and always noisy with frogs.

The edge of the lotus field and the lake pathway.

Shot of the lake from inside a little pavillion along the path. At this point, a middle-aged man became very interested in what I was doing and started following me around the lake. He thought I was a tourist. I used my small amount of Korean to explain that I live in Yeongcheon and was only photographing this place because I think the lake is pretty.

View out the other side of the pavillion with the sun setting.

Some graves on the side of the lake. Although there are graveyards in Korea where many of these hill tombs can be found in orderly rows, it's much more common to simply find them spread all over the countryside in random places. In the past, families bought patches of land to use as burial sites, and this is where they return to honor their ancestors during special holidays. Since land is expensive, this is falling out of practice. But you can still find old burial grounds everywhere you look.

A little clump of trees by the lakeside.

Rice fields on the other side of the lake. There is a lot of farming in Yeongcheon.

More of the lake.

And again, back to the lotus forest, full circuit.

Me with a goat. One of my students took this picture.

In front of the school. These flowers are very popular everywhere in Korea.

School again.

A bridge across the river close to where my old apartment was.

A stepping stone path crossing the river. I used to jog on this trail before I hurt my knee.

This park by the river was just completed this spring. I was really glad because it's lovely and I was looking forward to it all winter. I'm glad it was finished before I left.

Still on my jogging path, looking back at the sunset.

And again.

And again.

The river at night.

Another random street in Yeongcheon. A lot of the roads are like this: narrow, steep, crooked, and blocked by awkwardly-parked cars. I think if I had to drive a car in Yeongcheon, I would go crazy. Actually, the street pictured here isn't even a bad one. Many are much worse.

A temple within walking distance of my apartment.

And ditto for this church.

My new apartment building, three minutes away from my school!

Some trees changing color outside the English Office at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment