Sunday, January 15, 2012

Christmas Snowboarding

Christmas, as I've said, isn't really a holiday here, but it did fall on the weekend, so we awesomely had it off! This winter has been much milder than last winter with almost no snow. Mostly that's a good thing, but it does detract from the Christmas spirit. Luckily, I got my white Christmas anyway, because I joined a snowboarding trip last minute to help out my friends, who had lost a member of their group to sickness. Even though I don't like skiing, I'm really glad I went because snowboarding turned out to be more fun, less scary, and only slightly more painful. I actually really enjoyed it. If I go to a ski resort again, I'd like to give snowboarding another go!

Here I am with my rented snowboard. Click on the jump to see pictures of me actually snowboarding, all of which I lifted from my friend's facebook, since she took them all. I was too scared to bring my camera along, since I knew I'd be falling a lot.



Ashleigh and me at the top of the hill (well, the top of the beginner's slope, anyway), preparing for our downhill journey. There were no bunny hills, so we basically had to learn the ropes as we went. Both of us were new to snowboarding, while Courtney and Ashli already had experience and acted as our patient, encouraging, and all around awesome teachers.

Here's a a view looking up at a (fairly flat) section of the slope. This hill was designed so that several other slopes (beginner and advanced) merged into one as they neared the bottom. This made for a curious mix of absolute newbies and pros all madly trying not to run into each other. At least it was encouraging to see so many other felled snowboarders. On the other hand, I have never seen so many people rescued on emergency rescue sleds as I did here.

Wow. I'm on my feet. I never did learn to go backwards, which bummed me out, because it looks cool. Ashleigh never really learned to go forwards. I guess if we could merge together, we'd make a decent snowboarder.

Another shot of me. It just figured that Christmas weekend was the single cloldest weekend in Korea of the whole year. So we had to be bundled up pretty well. However, the lift was the only really cold part. Snowboarding warmed me up! 
Yeah, yeah, me again. I only lifted the photos of me. My friend actually took photos of everyone.

Me at the lodge. Ashleigh being South African, this was her first time being in snow. But she handled it like a pro.

And, to be fair, a picture of Ashleigh and me on our butts. Actually, I did much better than I thought I would, since I'm a terrible skiier. But I did fall down plenty!


And... not realated to snowboarding, but here's Yeongcheon's Christmas decoration. The same tree from last year, although the location moved. And it says "Happy New Year" actually (on the blurred out red spot), so it's not really a Christmas tree.

Oh, I lied. The public library had these lights, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment