Friday, August 20, 2010

The Place for Superstars!

Jeonju University is the Place for Superstars. No really. Check out this sign.
That's on the dorm where we're staying. It's also written all over inside. I doubt real superstars would agree, but it reflects a general positive attitude. The campus buildings are called things like "Star Hall," "Hope Hall," and "Peace Hall."

I also forgot yesterday to mention the in-flight movie selections. The movies were grouped by genre which included "Drama," "Comedy," "Classics," and "Beyond Special." I'm not sure I'd like to be labeled "beyond special," especially since browsing through the content didn't really clue me in to its meaning. There were films like Home Alone, the live action The Little Prince, and a special on the life of Van Gogh.

Yesterday they treated us to some special presentations which consisted of the Five Drum Dance, a Taekwando performance, and a Fan Dance. All of them were excellent. I took some pictures and movies, so as usual, they're after the "read more" cut. For my sisters, the Fan Dance fans really did look just like the ones we had as kids! Brought back a lot of memories.

Before the pictures, I thought it would be fun (and useful for me) if, with each blog, I did a little bit on Korean language by photographing simple, but important things like road signs or instructions and trying to decipher them. So here we are:

This is a sign I found walking down the street. It reads: 천천히
Which is: cheoncheonhi
I looked it up in my dictionary (thanks, Robyn and Sean!) and it means "slowly."
Interestingly, it's not at all similar to the word for "slow" in the dictionary.
Obviously, in this case, it's a warning to go slowly because of construction.

This one's kind of cheating. First, it's pretty obvious from the picture what it is. Second, it's just English words. But we'll look at it anyway. So, it says
초코칩 쿠키
Which is: chokochip kuki.
"Chocolate chip cookie." Pretty easy.

This one's a little difficult because the letters are in script form and a bit stylized. Here's what it says:
순창 섐물
That's: sunchang saemmul
Sunchang appears to be the name of the brand, so that's not too important. 물 means "water," and I discovered that 섐물 means "spring."
In this context, it refers to "spring water" or "mineral water."





Lots of pictures here. And the movies are at the bottom.































Ok, here are the movies. I hope they work.


3 comments:

  1. Very cool. The fan dancing was very interesting as well as the music. The costumes where not what I was expecting for a "fan dance"...:) Just kidding.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just keep laughing about "Beyond Special".... Hahaha

    ReplyDelete